Try bouldering at The Climbing Hangar
To celebrate National Fitness Day on Wednesday 23 September 2020, we’re offering first timers a free first climb, complete with an induction by one of our brilliant climbing coaches.
A lot of people who'd get a kick out of climbing don't even make it through the door. They're afraid of the risks and have a list of reasons why they'd be no good before they even begin. But we're here to tell you that you can give it a go, and what's more, you'll probably be better than you thought.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE (and you don't need to do pull-ups)
Bouldering is a hugely accessible sport. Unlike other forms of climbing, there are no ropes, and all you need to get started is a pair of climbing shoes (which we provide for free) and a short induction.
Still, many newcomers can feel a little intimidated on their first visit. So let's bust a few myths, in case you're still on the fence:
- You're not the only newbie. Around 50% of our new customers have never climbed before and they come in all ages, shapes and sizes.
- You don't need upper body strength. Your legs do most of the work during your early climbs, and you'll develop the strength you need as you practice.
- Everyone's facing the same challenges, whatever their level. Balance, height, strength, flexibility and downright fear are just part of the experience.
- It's not all about training for climbing outside. Over 50% of our climbers have never climbed outside. So there's no pressure. Indoor climbing is an activity in its own right.
- Everyone's been where you are - and they're all on your side. The competition in bouldering is with yourself and no one wants to see you fail.
- It's always better together. Bring a mate, chat to people, seek help from the crew. There's a reason bouldering is one of the most sociable sports; you'll progress faster with friends
With all of that in mind, are you ready to get off the ground?
We obviously take climbing very seriously indeed, but only because we enjoy it so much. There are loads of ways to have fun at The Hangar, from bringing groups of mates along, to kicking back in the cafe, taking part in incredible competitions and climbing the night away at our legendary parties.