What to expect
If you've never climbed before you'll need to come to come to an induction session (even if you're in the company of experts). Booking in advance is essential in London and recommended in our other venues.
If you're bringing the kids but don't intend to climb yourself, you'll still need to come to an induction to ensure you understand the dangers in the wall and how to keep your little ones safe. Again, booking in advance is best.
If you've climbed a few times you'll be asked some questions about your experience when you arrive. Don't be offended if we recommend you do an induction after this - it may well just be a refresher, but it's our way of ensuring everyone is safe in the environment, and we promise it won't take too long. You might even pick up some useful tips!
At our Plymouth site, inductions are compulsory for all parties.
As of the 1st of October, only inductions and classes need to be prebooked.
You don’t need to be fit or super strong to start climbing. You’ll find climbs (we call them problems) you can do on your first visit, and the more you practice the stronger you’ll become! Just make sure you warm up before you start to minimise the risk of injury, and you can get cracking right away (our staff can help if you need guidance – just ask).
You don’t need to bring anything with you except your enthusiasm and some comfortable clothes. Shoe hire is included in entry and chalk’s just £1.50.
General sports gear is fine. The important thing is to be comfortable, and wear something that allows for a lot of movement. It can also be chilly at The Hangar, although you’ll warm up fast once you’re climbing, so layers are good. You can always remove your sweater once you get sweaty!
Bouldering isn’t about climbing high. The wall is only 4.2m at its highest point. And remember, while your hands might be at the top, your feet are unlikely to ever be more than 3m off the ground. The Climbing Hangar has crash mats throughout and we can teach you to land safely to minimise the risk of injury. As you gain in confidence you will stop noticing the heights.
In the wall
Each problem is set in one colour and each colour represents a particular difficulty level or grade. There are boards at each centre which explain which colours relate to which grade so you can easily identify problems for your skill level.
Bouldering is a risky sport. But as long as you are aware of the particular type of risks associated with bouldering and how to avoid unnecessary dangers, it’s actually no more dangerous than normal kids’ play activities or adult sports.
We’ll give you all the information you need to stay safe, and our crew is fully qualified in coaching (and first aid!).
All sorts of people and all ages go bouldering. There’s really no particular ‘type’ although in general boulderers are a friendly and helpful bunch who like nothing more than to see people overcoming their fears and succeeding on the wall. Whether you’re just starting out or climbing in the top grades, everyone has a move that scares them or a challenge that they can’t quite master, and everyone is cheering each other on. We love to meet new people and introduce them to this fantastic sport. You will be warmly welcomed at The Climbing Hangar.
- For every two children ages 7-13 you bring, you need one adult supervising. For kids age 4-6, it's 1 child:1 adult This includes kids who aren’t climbing.
- Supervision means you need to be within eyesight of your kids at all times, and preferably on the mats with them.
- If you’re bringing kids for the first time you’ll need to come to a supervision induction. It’s worth booking online (where applicable) – just choose your induction slot and book for the number of children you’d like to bring – this will cover their entry (supervisors come for free).
- Different Hangars have slightly different facilities for kids – in general we’re happy for junior climbers to come in from the age of four, but in London, Matchworks and Sheffield we can’t have little ones younger than seven on the mats. If in doubt contact your local Hangar for more information.
Yes. 14-17 year olds are welcome to climb at the Hangar without an adult but you do need to bring a parent of guardian with you on your first visit so we can get the waiver signed off in centre (even if you complete the waiver form at home). Once that’s done you’re free to come and go as you please.
If you’re a teacher or youth group leader, you’ll need to attend one of our Train the Trainer sessions. These are free sessions that ensure you’re safe on the mats, understand the basics of climbing and have some fun activities to do with the kids.
We’ll also need a copy of your public liability insurance and any first aid qualifications.
Once that’s done you’re free to bring down a group of up to 10 kids (per trainer) whenever you want, although we ask that you always give us a call in advance as it can get quite busy.
If you’re a parent and you’d like to come with your kids and their friends, you will need to attend an induction if you’ve never climbed before.
You’re welcome to bring as many little ones as you wish, but please note that you must have one inducted adult for every two kids who come along in order to be covered by our insurance.
For all pay as you go clubs and classes, we're happy to refund the cost of the session providing you cancel at least 24 hours in advance. No refund is available if you cancel less than 24 hours in advance.
Please contact the centre to cancel – you can’t cancel sessions via your online account.
- You can cancel at any time without penalty. We don't pay pro-rata refunds so your membership services will continue until the end of the current billing cycle.
- You'll need to use our cancellation form to ensure your membership is stopped. Just make sure your form is submitted before midday on the last day of the billing cycle, so you're not charged the next month's fee. You should receive an email confirming the submission of your cancellation request. If you don't receive an email or you believe that you have cancelled in time and been charged in error, please get in touch.
- If your card expires or there are insufficient funds in your account, we will attempt to take payment again within 48 hours and then every few days throughout the month. You'll receive an email letting you know if this is the case. If we've not been able to take payment from your card before you next visit The Hangar you can settle your outstanding dues at the front desk when you check-in.
- Standard membership can be taken out online. For any other membership options, please head to reception and let them know you want to become one of the family. Your first payment will be a pro-rata payment based on the normal monthly subscription (subject to a minimum charge of 1 PAYG entry cost per member).
- At the time of signing up, you will be asked to provide credit or debit card details from which a recurring payment will be taken on the first of each month. Payments will continue to be taken until you cancel your membership, or your card expires.
Yes! We have multiple membership options so you can find the most suitable option for you and your family. Visit our location pages to find pricing for your local Hangar.
- Standard Membership - Unlimited climbing and more for just one monthly payment.
- Family Membership - Unlimited climbing for the whole family! Enjoy further discounted kids membership with every adult member (limited to 2 children U14 per 1 adult)
- Kids Membership - Unlimited climbing and more for U14s for just one monthly payment (child must be supervised at all times).
- Rock Club Membership - Unlimited climbing and a guaranteed slot on one Rock Club class per week for U14s.
Find pricing for your local Hangar here.
The Climbing Hangar Registered Address
'The Climbing Hangar' is the trading name for 'GRIP UK LTD'. For all invoicing and other B2B enquiries, please use the address below:
GRIP UK LTD, Office 4, 12 Jordan Street, Baltic Triangle, Liverpool, L1 0BP.
Can't find what you're looking for?
Please find the relevant number for your local Hangar centre below.
- Liverpool Sandhills - 0151 345 0587
- Liverpool Matchworks - 0151 427 0028
- London - 020 3841 7990
- Plymouth - 01752 717510
- Exeter - 01392 301830
- Sheffield - 0114 399 8980
- Swansea - 01792 721244