You're not alone
Bouldering is a hugely accessible sport but it can feel a bit intimidating when you turn up at the wall for the first time. Here are our top five tips on gaining the confidence to give it a go.
- You're not the only newbie. Around 50% of our new customers have never climbed before and they come in all ages, shapes and sizes.
- You don't need upper body strength. Your legs do most of the work during your early climbs, and you'll develop the strength you need as you practice
- Everyone's facing the same challenges, whatever their level. Balance, height, strength, flexibility and downright fear are just part of the experience
- It's not all about training for climbing outside. Over 50% of our climbers have never climbed outside. So there's no pressure. Indoor climbing is an activity in its own right.
- Everyone's been where you are - and they're all on your side. The competition in bouldering is with yourself and no one wants to see you fail
- It's always better together. Bring a mate, chat to people, seek help from the crew. There's a reason bouldering is one of the most sociable sports; you'll progress faster with friends
We're with you every step of the way
Here at the Hangar we absolutely love meeting new people and introducing them to bouldering, and we'll do everything we can to make you feel welcome. So what can you expect on your first visit?
- Book an induction online. That way when you show up we'll be waiting to show you around. They take about 30 minutes and everyone who is new to climbing must complete a session before they're allowed to climb unsupervised. Anyone who's climbed before can also come for a refresher.
If you plan to supervise kids but not climb yourself, book and pay for them - you come for free.
- We provide everything you need. Just show up with comfortable clothes (normal gym gear is good and bring layers if it's a cold day). We'll make sure you have the right shoes (included in entry price) and chalk is available from £1.50. Bring sport socks if you're not keen on the shared shoe experience!
- We'll show you around, explain how everything works and make sure you know how to stay safe on the mats. We'll even give you a bit of basic coaching so you can get going on your own.
- Once you're inducted, you can climb for as long as you like in the centre. There are no time limits. And there will be plenty of crew members around who will be more than happy to help - don't be shy.
- We have cubby holes and lockers on site, as well as showers, changing rooms and disabled facilities. More importantly we have amazing cafes serving home cooked food, locally roasted coffee and mouthwatering cakes which you will absolutely deserve by the time your session is done.